Friday, August 7, 2009

A Proposition

We need to "wake up and do something more." We need to help each other. And we need to start today. With small (or grand) gestures, words, ideas, and actions. So here is what I propose:

Every day we look for ways to serve others. And we post a little description of the service below, or at the community. Not to brag, not to point out how awesome we are (even though we are rad) but as inspiration and reminders to do more good in the world. And every few weeks, I will give away a prize (a good one) to a random poster. You know, because even though service is its own reward, sometimes it is nice to get another reward. Like a gift card. To the movies. Where you can serve yourself popcorn.

Are you up for it? I think you are.

xoxoxo
La Yen

9 comments:

  1. I'm in. And I guess I can start off with last night my sister called me at 8 pm looking for someone to accompany her on a baby clothes window-shopping run.

    I got out of my sweats, touched up my face and joined her. I was glad I did, we had a nice visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mrs. O. I think sometimes we underestimate the power of companionship. Some of the most memorable times that I have been served have been when people just were with me, keeping me company. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know i was just thinking about this (really). i want to be aware and do at least one thing every day. this is great. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a fabulous idea, but can we also post the amazing things others do for us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea!

    I will admit to taking dinner to my brother's family twice this week and babysitting their kids. They were appreciative, but I feel I did the most good by just calling the new mommy daily and letting her talk about her postpartum emotional stuff 'cause (boy howdy!) she's having a time of it. And I care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dalene, great minds think alike. Let's celebrate by eating pie.

    Monica, I think that would be cool, too. I need to work on my gratitude.

    Rynell--good job. I can't believe how people STILL don't understand the crazy hormones. That is a major service you did.

    As for me and my house, today I gave up some of my date night to go to a friend's home and help her make some tough decisions. And you know what? I had just as much fun over there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh. I wanna be in! Although I suck at blogging right now. I love this idea oh so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may be late to the party (am I late? I never know anymore, honestly, because my sense of time is all warped by the recently arrived she-who-thinks-night-is-day) but I'm totally in. I'm with dalene -- I've also been thinking about this sort of thing lately. I wish I did more of service. So now I will try to do more, and if/when I do I will let you and your readers know. Although I will probably have more to say about what other people do for me. Fabulous idea either way.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Sometimes gruntled, sometimes disgruntled.